Monday, May 19, 2008

Wood Badge

I just spent the past two weekends immersed in the Boy Scout leadership training known as Wood Badge. It was a fabulous experience. I met some wonderful new friends, learned some new leadership skills, and got re-acquainted with a tent! There is a lot of lore associated with the Boy Scouts. It has a very rich culture all its own, and I found myself wanting more of it. There is something about the uniform (I am now the proud owner of my first Scout uniform since I last owned one at age14), the games, the silly songs, the campfire skits, the badges. It is all about teaching young men citizenship and character and learning to love the outdoors. It is common sense training packaged in khakis and a neckerchief. And the training is not just about teaching young men how to be leaders. It teaches unity and teamwork and love of life and reverence for God. It helps in all aspects of life - work, home, and family. I remember sitting there one day thinking to myself that corporate executives would pay thousands of dollars for this kind of leadership training. Yet there we were, sitting in this country lodge, being taught true principles on a shoestring budget. We had a campfire program every night, flag ceremonies night and morning, two interfaith services, and days filled with songs and cheers and games (all with insightful purpose). I would recommend it to anyone, whether you are involved in the Boy Socuts or not. By the way, they train you using the "patrol" method (that is, you do eveything as a team, learning that you can get much more done together than you can by yourself). I was in the Fox Patrol. Go Foxes!

3 comments:

Lenice said...

Sounds like a great experience. I have heard nothing but positive from those who go to wood badge. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Cam said...

Yip! Yip! Yip! A fellow fox! Yahoooo! You're absolutely right about Wood Badge training. Its the best team training I've ever had, not withstanding having taken a lot of classes over the 25 years I've been with Parker Hannifin. I was able to finally complete my tickets and receive my Wood Badge beads this past January. Here is a URL to my blog posting about that milestone event.
http://tinyurl.com/6o4uwz

Anonymous said...

Greatings from an Antelope!